Advanced Search
Viewing Record 1 of 1 



ACCESSION DETAIL
Manuscript
1958-1983
Paper

Congregation Beth Jacob is an Orthodox congregation located in Atlanta, Georgia. While the Congregation was officially founded in 1943 with its first permanent location, a converted private residence on Boulevard, its roots begin in 1931; a small group of observant members of Ahavath Achim felt uncomfortable with the modernizing ritual, believing it was not “religious enough.” Thus, they began to organize their own High Holiday services in homes and vacant stores before finding their own building in 1943. In 1956, the Congregation moved to 475 Boulevard, Northeast, which had previously housed the Tabernacle Baptist Church. However, by 1962, the Congregation was moving once more, this time to a newly erected building made specifically to be their synagogue. The forty members of 1951 had grown to 190 families by 1962. While the former locations were converted buildings, this new location at 1855 Lavista Road, was the “fulfillment of a cherished dream,” according to their New Building Brochure, “a place of worship combining all the features necessary for the convenience of a modern and growing community.” Indeed, by the early 1970s the Congregation began fundraising to add a much needed expansion to their new building—by 1976, membership had reached 500 families. Rabbi Yosef Saffra, in 1951, became Congregation Beth Jacob’s first permanent rabbi. Under his leadership, Beth Jacob established a religious school and a program of adult education. Shortly thereafter, in 1952, Rabbi Emanuel Feldman joined the Congregation as its religious leader, and would remain in the position until his retirement in 1991. Throughout Rabbi Feldman’s tenure, he exerted a strong effort to maintain a strict Orthodox presence in the community, even raising the height of the mechitza three times. His efforts proved fruitful as the Congregation grew and flourished under his guidance. His son, Rabbi Ilan Feldman, who began serving as assistant rabbi in 1980, stepped in to his father’s position as senior rabbi in 1991. Congregation Beth Jacob Records (1958-1983) consists of annual reports, minutes, correspondence, financial records, membership information, bulletins, newsletters, and building plans for both the 1855 Lavista Road building and its expansion in the 1970s. The collection is arranged by alphabetically by subject and chronologically within each folder; the first container houses all of the membership newsletters; the second contains the Constitution, membership lists, minutes of membership meetings, and miscellaneous financial; the third contains the documents pertaining to the planning, fundraising, and execution of the “New Building”; and the fourth and final container holds the documents pertaining to the planning, fundraising, and execution of the expansion of the “New Building.”

Mss 215

Congregation Beth Jacob - Atlanta, Georgia

13 Related Subjects

Congregation Beth Jacob (Atlanta, Ga.)
Synagogues

Synagogues


Feldman, Emanuel, 1927-
Rabbis

Feldman, Ilan D., 1954-
Rabbis

Hirsch, Benjamin, 1932-2018


Taratoot, Louis (1923-)


Esral, Abraham A., 1931-2018


Bregman, Petty, 1926-2004


Hirsch, Jack, 1931-2003


Abrams, Sol, 1905-1992


Golden, Ben, 1911-2007


Berchenko, Jack, 1910-2003


Orthodox Judaism
Jewish Sects

Viewing Record 1 of 1
The Breman Museum 1440 Spring Street, NW Atlanta, GA 30309 678-222-3700
© 2014 William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum.   Privacy Statement  |  Terms Of Use

This website is supported by a generous gift from the Jerry and Dulcy Rosenberg Family in honor of Elinor Rosenberg Breman.


Jewish Federation