Advanced Search
Viewing Record 1 of 1 


Jewish Educational Alliance (Atlanta, Ga.)

Founded in 1910, this was the original organization in Atlanta and was located on Capitol Avenue between Fair Street and Woodward Avenue. In 1956 it changed its name to the Atlanta Jewish Community Center and moved to Peachtree Road. That facility is no longer there and there are now two separate community centers: the Marcus Jewish Community Center on Tilly Mill (1979) and the Shirley Blumenthal Park (1989). The Alliance was the first major cooperative achievement of the immigrant and established communities. It quickly became the focus for Russian communal acitivity and lodges, clubs and societies made it their home. Newcomers received instruction in English and civics, but great stress was also put on folk dancing, Yiddish theatre and oberservance of religious festivals. The Alliance was more a settlement house than a center for the entire community. The German Jews had little need for its facilities and participated only in a supervisory capacity.

An error has occured: Got error 28 from storage engine