Advanced Search
Viewing Record 1 of 1 



ACCESSION DETAIL
Manuscript
1922-1985
Paper
.4 cubic feet

Adas Yeshurun Synagogue was founded in 1889 when five Orthodox Jewish families formed a minyan as the basis for the congregation. The families belonged to J. Edelstein, Morris Steinberg, Isadore Fromberg, Abram Shapiro and J. M. Frank. They were know as “Mr. Steinberg’s Minyan” and met over a drugstore on the 1000 block of Broad Street. Later that year, Abram G. Poliakoff, a shochet, was brought to the city, to administer to all the religious needs of the Orthodox Jewish community, with a population of about 100, and included about eighty men. In 1890, the men who kept the Sabbath felt they could not participate in minyan with men whose businesses were open on that holy day, so they formed another minyan. In 1891, a third minyan was formed. In 1891, the three minyans merged. On October 9, 1891, H. C. Rooney, Judge of the Superior Court of Richmond County, Georgia, granted a corporate charter to Morris Steinberg, Bernard Holatsky, Morris Coffsky, Isadore Fromberg, S. Aaron Bulkovstein, Lesser Steinberg, Benjamin Grunglos, Abram Shapiro, Sam Steinberg, Aaron Steinberg, Solomon Wigodsky, and Mandel Sawilowsky, to be incorporated under the name of the Society Adash Yershurien. Significantly, the petition for a charter did not give religious purposes as a reason for corporation, but “… for mutual benefit and pleasure and to assist in charitable work.” In 1902 the congregation split again because some of the members felt there was a need for another shochet. After 3 or 4 years, the two congregations came together again. In 1909, Mrs. Henry Levkoff organized the Daughters of Israel. Today it functions as the Sisterhood of the Synagogue. By 1945 the congregation had outgrown their synagogue; Rabbi Goldberger enlisted William Estroff to take leadership in the building of a new synagogue. Due to the untimely deaths of William Estroff and Rabbi Goldberger, the ground of the new synagogue was not broken until 1953. Adas Yeshurun Synagogue Records, 1922 – 1985 are primarily minutes, financial records, and program books relating to the varied activities and projects of this Orthodox synagogue. The Adas Yeshurun Synagogue is the oldest and first congregation in Augusta, Georgia. Adas Yeshurun Synagogue Records are arranged in alphabetical order by subject and chronologically within each folder. Finding aid available in library.

Mss 163

Adas Yeshurun Synagogue - Augusta, Georgia

21 Related Subjects

Adas Yeshurun Synagogue (Augusta, Ga.)
Synagogues

Synagogues


Augusta (Ga.)
Georgia

Goldberger, Henry R., 1899-1946


High Holidays
Judaism - Fasts and Feasts; Yom Kippur; Rosh Ha-Shanah

Judaism--Fasts and Feasts


Orthodox Judaism
Jewish Sects

Jewish Sects


Sisterhoods


Roosevelt, Franklin D. (Franklin Delano), 1882-1945
Presidents - United States

United States. Army


United States--Armed Forces--Religious life


World War, 1939-1945


Truman, Harry S., 1884-1972
Presidents--United States

Rescue Work


Jewish refugees
Refugees

American Red Cross


Race Relations


Rabbis


Prayer-book


Palestine


Viewing Record 1 of 1
The Breman Museum 1440 Spring Street, NW Atlanta, GA 30309 678-222-3700
© 2014 William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum.   Privacy Statement  |  Terms Of Use

This website is supported by a generous gift from the Jerry and Dulcy Rosenberg Family in honor of Elinor Rosenberg Breman.


Jewish Federation